Alumna Advice

Becky Mickel

Becky Mickel

Following Becky Mickel, ’13, through the refurbished factory-turned-magazine empire (Martha Stewart Living OmniMedia occupies the gigantic 9th floor of a former meat-packing building, but half that space has emptied out since Meredith took on editorial/marketing for the company and moved workers to 3rd Ave.), I was in awe of how far a W&L alumna had come in just three years since graduating. She went from the Rockbridge Report to an Associate Editor for Martha Stewart Weddings to, starting next week, a new Art and Archive team at Condé Nast.

It gave me, and everyone else in the class, hope that we would be all right once we left the safety of the Colonnade. Becky started out with Martha through the ASME internship and then got a job with the company a few months after she left Lexington. This just goes to show how important it is that we do something beneficial with our summers. It is a very cool feeling to think that what I do this July–interning in the communication department of West Virginia’s  Attorney General–could be  the beginning of my career.

In addition to showing us around the Martha Stewart offices and the test kitchens, which smelled delicious, Becky gave us some valuable advice that goes farther than the tips you typically read online about interviews and professionalism. She suggested we email the lowest person on the magazine’s masthead for internship opportunities and have an active interest in that specific company. She also said that a hand-written thank-you note would go further than you could imagine. It sets you apart and shows that you are willing to go that extra mile.Students at Martha Stewart

So while I may not be completely sure what I want to do when I graduate, I am given great comfort in speaking with our young successful alumni. I have even further confidence that the skills I am receiving in Reid Hall will be indispensable wherever I go.

— Ashley Faulkner

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.